Colsterworth village is situated 1/4 mile west of the A1. York House is conveniently positioned to enable our guests to easily access the A1 for Scotland, The City of Lincoln, Belton House in Grantham, Burghley House in Stamford, Rutland Water, The City of Peterborough, London and the East Coast.
We are in Lincolnshire but are very close to the Counties of Leicestershire (Melton Mowbray is only 13 miles away) and Rutland is about 7 miles.
Nearby Points of Interest
- Sir Isaac Newton. (1 mi)
- Woolsthorpe Manor, owned and managed by the National Trust, is only a fifteen minute walk from York House. Here you will discover the 17th century birthplace and family home of Sir Isaac Newton; there is also an interactive science discovery centre in the grounds that explains his life and theories.
- Barnsdale Gardens. (9 mi)
- 38 inspiring gardens Originally home to the BBC's Gardeners' World programme in Rutland, a short drive from Colsterworth. 01572 813200
- Grimsthorpe Castle. (7 mi)
- Grimsthorpe Castle,Park & Gardens and a lot more. Built to host a visit from Henry VIII, the Castle now holds collections of furniture. tapestries and paintings. What's on at Grimsthorpe : www.grimsthorpe.co.uk / Estate Office on 01778 591205
SatNav PE10 OLZ
- Easton Walled Gardens. (4 mi)
- Are 400 year old 'lost' gardens. Rediscovered in 2001,they now include meadows,vegetable and cottage gardens,borders, roses and drifts of bulbs. Glorious gardens near the A1 and Colsterworth in the centre of England.01476 530063 NG33 5AP
- The Bowthorpe Oak. (13 mi)
- Bowthorpe Park Farm, Manthorpe
An ancient hollow oak tree with a massive girth - as featured in the Guinnes Book of Records also mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Open all year.
Contact: Grantham Tourist Information 01476 406166 or Stamford TIC 01780 755611
- Sailing Experiences with Rutland8 Yachts. (14 mi)
- Join the crew aboard one of our skippered yachts and explore Rutland Water,one of the great lakes of Europe. 2hrs Sailing Experience for non sailors & sailors alike. Close to Colsterworth.
- Outdoor Adventure Rutland water. (10 mi)
- Welcome to Outdoor Adventure at Rutland Water.
Cycle Hire - Climbing - High Ropes - Groups.
01780 460060 www.4outdooradventure.com
- Gravity Fields Festival (8 mi)
- Gravity Fields Festival is a science and arts festival to celebrate and explore the relationship that Grantham has with Sir Isaac Newton one of the world's foremost thinkers to be held in Grantham starting from Friday 28th September 2012.
- The British Bird Watching Fair (9 mi)
- Rutland Water Nature Reserve
August 2013 Dates to be added. Lots to do and see.
- Brownes Hospital Stamford (13 mi)
- Broad Street, Stamford PE9 1PF.
Almshouse built in 1475, original furniture and stained glass.Open Saturdays and Bank Holidays.
May - September 11am - 4pm, Sundays 2 - 4.30pm.
- Tolethorpe Hall, Lttle Casterton Nr Stamford PE9. (12 mi)
- Stamford Shakespeare Company.
A stage set in an enchanting glade, gorgeous costumes, the magic of Tolethorpe begins the moment you take your seat in one of Europe's finest open air theatres on a warm summer evening.
Plays for 2012, Henry 1V Part 1, Twelfth Night, The Three Musketeers.
- Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (49 mi)
- Home of Lancaster NX611
Step back in time and relive a World War Two Bomber Airfield!
Watch and listen to the unforgettable Lancaster taxy runs or even book a ride!
Walk in the footsteps of some of the bravest men and women of Bomber Command
A1 NORTH(1.0mi, 1.6km)
From the North. The Colsterworth roundabout has gone. Take the slip road sign posted to Colsterworth B676. On the left there is an Esso station and another on the right, just ahead is a mini roundabout turn right and over the flyover. Another mini roundabout turn left still on the B676 past some stone houses on your left keep going York house is situated a short drive along on the left. Pull on to the car park just before the B&B sign. If you pass the sign you have gone too far.
A1 SOUTH(1.0mi, 1.6km)
Travelling from the South. The Colsterworth roundabout has gone. After passing under the flyover take the slip road to Colsterworth B676. At the mini roundabout take the second exit. York House is a short distance. Drive past some stone houses on the left keep going and you will see the B&B sign on your left pull onto the car park area before the B&B sign. If you pass the sign you have gone too far.
7 miles from Grantham
27 miles from Peterborough
13 miles from Melton Mowbray
13 miles from Stamford
12 miles from Bourne
20 Miles from Newark
Main line Railway Stations are at Peterborough, Grantham and Stamford
Melton Mowbray(13.0mi, 20.9km)
From Melton Mowbray the B676. This route is a very nice cross country drive in day light. On the B676 follow it all the way to the village of Colsterworth. Arriving in Colsterworth down a hill then up the other side is a small cross road, on the right hand side as the road inclines is the local Post office. Continue to the top of the hill, not far from the P.O, on the right you will see the B&B sign please park on the car park just past the B&B sign.